IEC TS 60079-48:2023
Explosive atmospheres - Part 48 - Portable or Personal Electronic Equipment – Guide for the use of equipment without a certificate for use in Hazardous Areas
IEC 60079-48:2023, which is a Technical Specification, provides guidance for an owner or operator for the use of portable or personal electronic equipment to be used in hazardous areas requiring Equipment Protection Level (EPL) Gb, Gc, Db, or Dc that are not otherwise commercially available with a certificate.
This document does not apply to:
• equipment that is electrically connected to fixed equipment or fixed wiring during use in the hazardous area, for example a lead light connected to the premises wiring system by a plug and socket,
• portable or personal equipment with a certificate for use in a hazardous area,
• transportable equipment,
• portable or personal equipment used in Group I applications,
• battery powered tools, such as drills and saws,
• portable or personal equipment used in areas requiring EPL Ga or Da equipment, or,
• medical devices.
This document does not address other considerations involving the use of portable or personal electronic equipment for other aspects of safety, for example, creation of a distraction from important work tasks, radio frequency interference with measurement and control equipment, or medical issues.
This document supplements the guidance in IEC 60079-14 regarding the use of personal or portable equipment without a certificate for use in hazardous areas.
Status : ACTIVE
Standard Type: Main
Document No: IEC TS 60079-48:2023
Document Year: 2023
- Section Volume:
- TC 31.SC 31J
Classification of hazardous areas and installation requirements
Electrical apparatus for explosive atmospheres